Grispi, Larson Highlight WEC 35 Prelims

By: Mike Sloan
Aug 4, 2008
LAS VEGAS -- Josh Grispi scored a quick TKO against Micah Miller (Pictures), as he stopped the American Top Team product on strikes in just 50 seconds and highlighted the preliminary action at WEC 35 on Sunday at the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino.

Grispi, 19, opened the contest with a series of thudding leg kicks and closed the show with a sizzling overhand right. The punch floored Miller, and Grispi pounced on his stunned foe, pounded away with punches and forced referee Herb Dean (Pictures) to intervene.

Miller immediately jumped up and protested the stoppage, which seemed a bit premature. Nevertheless, it was an emphatic statement from Grispi, still a relative unknown to a majority of the mixed martial arts world. He has posted seven consecutive victories, all of them by first-round stoppage.

Grispi shared the highlight reel with UFC veteran and former WEC welterweight title challenger Brock Larson (Pictures), who battered the durable Carlo Prater (Pictures).

Larson blasted Prater with a scorching straight left hand that sent the Yves Edwards (Pictures) protégé crashing to the canvas. The rugged Minnesotan then bombarded his opponent with a series of crushing lefts on the ground until referee Steve Mazzagatti stepped in to stop it. Prater was out cold after the last two lefts found their mark, the end coming in just 37 seconds. He had never been knocked out in 29 previous bouts.

In another welterweight match, Blas Avena (Pictures) also scored a quick finish, as he stopped Dave Terrel (Pictures) in little more than a minute.

The two traded bombs early, but it was Avena’s knee and subsequent flurry of punches that sealed Terrel’s fate. He collapsed under the barrage, and Avena pummeled him for the finish. The bout was over in 67 seconds.

Meanwhile, Cobra Kai lightweight Shane Roller worked hard for his fourth straight win, as he had his hands full with Todd Moore (Pictures). The 29-year-old applied a slick guillotine choke from which Moore was unable to escape midway through the opening stanza. Exactly three minutes into the duel, Moore had no choice but to tap out. Unbeaten in his first nine professional fights, Moore has lost two straight since he debuted in the WEC in December.

Elsewhere, Greg McIntyre (Pictures) seemed well on his way to a unanimous decision victory until Mike Budnik slapped a triangle choke on him late in the match. To that point, McIntyre had dictated the action with strong takedowns and decent ground-and-pound. The undefeated Budnik’s choke rendered it all meaningless 3:21 into round three.

In the opening bout at WEC 35, Scott Jorgensen (Pictures) won a workmanlike unanimous decision against Japan’s Kenji Osawa (Pictures). Repeated takedowns and effective ground-and-pound from Jorgensen neutralized his opponent and earned him the 30-27 nod on all three judges’ scorecards.

Fighter Profiles

Related MMA News

GRRRR!!!More on Mobile