Paddy Pimblett: Everyone Who Wanted Cage Warriors 113 Canceled is a ‘Drama Queen’

By: Tristen Critchfield
Mar 21, 2020


After multiple cancellations and postponements from organizations throughout the world due to the coronavirus pandemic, Cage Warriors was the last notable mixed martial arts promotion left standing this weekend.

After a relocation from London to Manchester and a few lost bouts, Cage Warriors 113 went forward as planned on Friday in a card that was streamed via UFC Fight Pass. Among those on the card was English prospect Paddy Pimblett, who emerged with a first-round technical knockout victory against Decky Dalton in a featured lightweight affair.

Pimblett, who had been sidelined for the past 18 months, hopes that a transition to the UFC could be in his future. If not, “The Baddy” could be in line for a lightweight title shot against Mason Jones, who defeated Joe McColgan in the evening’s main event.

“After a dominant performance like that, in half a round, you never know who’s going to come calling, do you?” Pimblett said to Cage Warriors interviewer Edith Labelle. “We’re open to all offers, so we’ll see. I was speaking to Joe [McColgan] and Mason [Jones] before, and if they ever want to get it on in the future, I’m always here. I’ll fight anyone. I won’t back down to anyone, and I’ll fight for that belt – I want that belt. But I’m sick of people asking me, ‘When are you going to the UFC?’ After the coronavirus gets to f—k, we’ll see what happens.”

The European promotion received its fair share of criticism for moving ahead with the event, but Pimblett saw firsthand the safety measures that were taken by Cage Warriors staff.

“The guidelines were perfect,” Pimblett said. “I don’t see how anyone can bat an eyelid at it. I came down to watch a teammate of mine who fought earlier, but the health and safety precautions in the way, I got told I had to go back to the changing room. We couldn’t have a certain amount of people in there. Anyone that thinks this is unsafe is wrapped in cotton wool. Going to shops, more people are touching and being closer to each other. Everyone is a drama queen who’s saying this show should have got canceled.”

Pimblett’s sentiments are likely shared by a number of fighters, all of whom are independent contractors who depend upon active competition to get paid. Pimblett was grateful to have the opportunity to fight on Friday.

“I put my heart and soul into this and for this to have got pulled six days out, no one would have been saying how unfair it was on me or the other fighters on this card who were trying to earn a living and make money for their families. People don’t look past that. We put our heart and soul into this and I wouldn’t let someone take that away from you without kicking and screaming. F—k coronavirus.”

« Previous Next »

More

Fighter Profiles

Comments

Comments powered by Disqus

GRRRR!!!More on Sherdog.com Mobile