Kobayashi Stops Oumakhanov at Pancrase 'Passion Tour 10'

By: Tony Loiseleur
Nov 3, 2010
TOKYO -- Artur Oumakhanov was given an inhospitable return to MMA Wednsday evening at Differ Ariake in Tokyo, as lightweight Isao Kobayashi left him unconscious in the main event of the 10th installment of Pancrase’s 2010 Passion Tour.

As the bell rang to end Oumakhanov’s two-year hiatus from MMA, he was welcomed back with surprising aggression, as Kobayashi quickly took him to the canvas. Oumakhanov initially reached for a kneebar, managing to transition into Kobayashi's guard for a moment before the Japanese fighter again reversed position.

When Kobayashi stood to drop punches, Oumakhanov sat up to drive for the takedown, but ran head-first into a Kobayashi guillotine that left him unconscious in the middle of Differ Ariake. Referee Yoshinori Umeki stepped in to save the insensate Russian at 4:21 into the first.

In 2006 and 2007, the former Spetsnaz member-turned-MMA fighter ran roughshod over Japan’s local MMA scene, turning in highlight reel wins in Pancrase and GCM, en route to earning the Cage Force lightweight title and an eventual berth in Dream’s 2008 lightweight grand prix. Now, however, it’s on Oumakhanov’s name that Kobayashi might be headed for bigger things.

“There are many martial arts promotions out there, but I think Pancrase is the most exciting. I don't belong to Pancrase-ism, but I want to lead Pancrase,” said the victorious Kobayashi, while his cornermen urged him to campaign for a bout in Sengoku Raiden Championship.

Oumakhanov was not the only Russian scheduled to be on the card. His teammate Gadji Zaipulaev was originally set to face veteran Keiichiro Yamamiya before a left ankle injury sustained while jogging on Oct. 30 resulted in Zaipulaev failing his prefight medicals, cancelling the bout.

Shigeki Osawa’s MMA growing pains continued, as the Sengoku featherweight prospect drew with veteran Tomonari Kanomata after 15 minutes of getting top position and doing nothing with it.

Looking to bang it out early, “Mad Knuckle” Osawa was surprised to meet a game Kanomata on the feet, resulting in a resounding suplex into side mount for the Yoshida Dojo product. From there however, Osawa seemed to be at a loss for what to do on top. As in recent bouts, Osawa, one of Japan's best collegiate wrestlers in the last few years, continued to struggle to capitalize on his wrestling prowess.

Kanomata got busy with a steady stream of punches and submission attempts from the bottom throughout the fight. Despite being the busier of the two, Kanomata still ate hard punches from Osawa whenever the all-too-rare inclination struck the wrestler. As such, all three judges scored the bout 29-29.

In a middleweight King of Pancrase elimination match, SK Absolute's Sojiro Orui kept his cool and put veteran Yuji Hisamatsu away in round two.

Hisamatsu was active early, landing counterpunches and low kicks, bloodying Orui's nose and reddening his lead leg. However, the southpaw Orui bided his time until the home run hit. Orui put a stop to matters at 2:19 in the second frame when a particularly vicious right hand flattened Hisamatsu, who covered up under the ensuing barrage, prompting referee Ryogaku Wada to jump in for the save.

With the win, Orui earned a future date with middleweight King of Pancrase Yuki Kondo, the promotion's long-time star now in the waning twilight of his career.

Former Shooto 132-pound world champ Masahiro Oishi -- who turns 42 later this month -- dominated Hirokazu Nishimura on the ground, chaining choke attempts on his hapless foe. "Jackal" kept dominant top position throughout, hustling Nishimura until his fight-ending kimura at 3:46 of round two, when Nishimura's corner threw in the towel to keep their man's shoulder from being dislocated.

In flyweight action, upstart Hiroyuki Nakajima upset former Pancrase title challenger Isao Hirose. Nakajima and Hirose traded back mount early in the closely contested battle, but Nakajima didn’t make the same mistake twice: his second time with back control, he locked up the body triangle, then the rear-naked choke, forcing Hirose to succumb at 3:34 of the second stanza.

Japan's answer to Herb Dean, fighter-turned-referee-turned-fighter-again Kenichi Serizawa got his first win in nearly eight years, armbarring Taku Aramaki 2:15 into the first round.

Both lightweights Hiroki "AB" Aoki and Tetsuya Yamada, as well as welterweights Masahiro Toryu and Kosei Kubota, fought to offensively drab unanimous draws. Both bouts were scored 20-20 by all judges.

Ryota Sasaki had little trouble pounding out veteran Ryo Saito, locking up a top crucifix and punching away until referee Kenji Kosuge had to step in at 2:35 of the second frame.

In preliminary action, Junichi Ota outslugged Daisuke Shimoyama to a unanimous decision victory.

Despite entering to Ryu's "Street Fighter 2" stage theme, Katsuya Nomura had none of the video game icon's striking, getting outboxed to a unanimous decision loss by Takashi Ito.

Nobuhiro Yoshitake tidily pounded out Yoshiyuki Ishikawa out at 3:58 of the first round.

Daisuke Tsujita armbarred Takashi Nakamura at 1:16 of round two.

Masakazu Utsugi forced Go Yamanaka to tap to punches -- a rare sight in Japanese MMA -- just 2:14 into the opening bout of the night.

Fighter Profiles

Related MMA News

GRRRR!!!More on Sherdog.com Mobile