The events of recent weeks would seem to indicate that Georges St. Pierre’s time with the Ultimate Fighting Championship has drawn to a close, but the ex-welterweight champion insists that is not the case.
Last week, St. Pierre joined Tim Kennedy, Cain Velasquez, T.J. Dillashaw and Donald Cerrone as members of the five-person board for the newly-formed Mixed Martial Arts Athletes Assocation (MMAAA). That announcement came on the heels of St. Pierre declaring himself a free agent after a long and public negotiation with the UFC yielded no positive outcome. Despite these developments, St. Pierre claims that an Octagon return remains a possibility.
"No, no it doesn't mean I'm done with the UFC. Like other members, like Cain Velasquez, Tim Kennedy, Cowboy Cerrone, they're all seasoned fighters. Doesn't mean I'm done,” St. Pierre recently told TSN. “Actually, the night that we launched the association we received a letter, Rodolphe [Beaulieu] received a letter - my agent - from the UFC lawyer saying that they want to renew the negotiation with me because at the point where I was before the negotiation, the communication was cut. So we didn't have any kind of communication.”
While it appeared that negotiations with the Las Vegas-based promotion had completely fallen apart, St. Pierre held out hope until just recently that his long-rumored appearance at UFC 206 would still become a reality. However, he also maintains that he is free to fight elsewhere if he chooses.
"The thing is, I was training until a very recent point. I was fighting, I was training to get ready for a fight in Toronto. I really thought it would have worked out and in case someone got hurt, they would have maybe called me or I thought maybe they would have called me at the last minute, just to take me off guard,” he said. “I didn't know. But one or two weeks ago I pulled the plug, I knew it was not happening.
“I was hoping earlier to get on the card for Toronto but it's not happening and now I guess they'll keep talking and we'll see if they can come to an agreement. Same story as before but now I have more options. I'm [a] free agent. I don't have to be in the UFC. I could go somewhere else.”
St. Pierre also told TSN that he was hoping to fight middleweight champ Michael Bisping at Saturday’s event, but the conditions offered by the UFC were “unacceptable.”
"Who or what kind of person would I be if I'm taking a fight under conditions that are not equitable and I'm fighting for the other person that is trying to make their condition of work better,” St. Pierre said. “So if I do something, it's smart to do it for myself first and then I try to do it for the other person. That's my mentality.”