The rumblings regarding a Nick Diaz comeback don’t mean a whole lot to UFC president Dana White, who’s had a consistent stream of on-and-off discussions with the former welterweight title challenger.
“There’s been talking, but there’s been talking for years,” White said following the Contender Series on Tuesday.
Earlier this week, Diaz’s manager, Kevin Mubenga, informed ESPN that the fighter recently completed a 14-week training regimen and weight cut in preparation for a 2021 return to the Octagon.
This is Nick Diaz earlier today. He weighs in the 175-165 pound range, per his manager Kevin Mubenga.— Ariel Helwani (@arielhelwani) September 7, 2020
He just completed a 14-week diet and training regimen. This is the first time he cuts weight in approximately four years, Mubenga said. Diaz wanted to do a test cut because ... pic.twitter.com/5A8EvyLeUn
The 37-year-old Stockton, California, native hasn’t fought since a loss to Anderson Silva at UFC 183 on Jan. 31, 2015. That defeat was later overturned to a no contest after Silva failed a drug test. That bout was preceded by a nearly two-year absence following a decision defeat to Georges St. Pierre in a welterweight title bout at UFC 158.
Diaz hasn’t won a mixed martial arts bout since he outpointed B.J. Penn at UFC 137 in November 2011. On Tuesday, White said the promotion is taking a wait-and-see approach regarding Diaz.
“Listen, the Nick Diaz thing,” White said. “First of all, we would never have released that or done that. We’ll see how this thing plays out. I don’t have any expectations whatsoever. We’ll see what happens.”