The event ran aground earlier in the day when Don King Productions was granted its motion for injunctive relief against Shine Fight Promotions and boxer Ricardo Mayorga, who was scheduled to make his MMA debut against former UFC lightweight contender Din Thomas in the main event.
Broward County, Fla., Judge Marc Gold ruled Shine Fights could not promote the 36-year-old boxer, per his agreement with the boxing promotion. DKP has an exclusive three-year contract with Mayorga, which was signed on October 1, 2009.
“The court found that Mayorga is not a legitimate mixed martial artist and that Shine was not legitimately promoting him as one for this event,” said Alex Brito, attorney for Don King Productions, “and that the only reason anyone was attending this ‘Worlds Collide’ event was to see how Mayorga fared as a boxer against an MMA fighter.”
According to Brito, Judge Gold suggested that DKP would be successful in proving that Mayorga is in breach of his contract with the boxing promotion. He believed that whether Mayorga won, lost or was injured in his proposed bout with Thomas, DKP would suffer “irreparable damage” in trying to promote Mayorga again as a boxer. DKP said it has already secured Mayorga’s next boxing assignment against current WBA world middleweight champion Felix Sturm in August or September 2010.
Shine Fights appeared ready to move forward with the event, shifting the Murilo "Ninja" Rua-David Heath matchup into the featured slot. The North Carolina commission had other ideas. Representatives from Shine Fights could not immediately be reached for comment.
Loretta Hunt contributed to this report.