A long-anticipated super-fight between UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre and middleweight kingpin Anderson Silva will likely take place in spring 2013, according to UFC President Dana White.
White announced the news Saturday night after St. Pierre successfully defended his welterweight crown against interim champ Carlos Condit in the UFC 154 headliner at the Bell Centre in Montreal.
“It’s the No. 1 best pound-for-pound fighter in the world against the No. 2 best pound-for-pound fighter in the world,” White told Fox Sports. “It’s a big fight. We think people want to see it, and we think the guys want to do it, so we’ll do it. They will fight, and it will probably be in May or around May.”
White said the company has yet to decide where the fight will take place, but named Toronto, Dallas and Brazil as “the three options.” Though St. Pierre was non-committal about a potential meeting with Silva (Pictured, file photo) during his post-fight interview, White believes it unlikely that the welterweight king would turn down a chance to face “The Spider.”
“[St. Pierre] is lumped up. He’s sore. He feels like he just got hit by a bus, I’m sure. He hasn’t fought in 18 months. I’ll make this fight,” said White. “We’re going to sit down with Anderson, probably in the next two weeks, and I’m sure we’re going to sit down and talk to St. Pierre and his team, too. Who knows? Maybe we go into this thing, and St. Pierre says, ‘Absolutely not,’ but I just don’t see that happening.”
Regarded as one of MMA’s premier athletes, St. Pierre struggled with injuries last year and has spent the last 10 months recovering from a torn ACL. Nevertheless, St. Pierre appeared no worse for the wear against Condit, scoring takedowns and dropping hard ground-and-pound in each of the first two rounds.
However, Condit managed to turn the tide in round three with a beautiful head kick that sent St. Pierre to the canvas. “The Natural Born Killer” looked to finish, but the champion held on and eventually regained his vertical base before hitting another takedown and finishing the frame on top.
Recovered from the knockdown, St. Pierre decisively won the championship rounds, continually sticking Condit with straight punches before scoring more takedowns in both of the final two frames to take a unanimous judges’ decision.
Tonight’s title defense marked St. Pierre’s first in-cage appearance since he outpointed Jake Shields at UFC 129 in April 2011. “Rush” has not lost since 2007, rattling off nine consecutive victories since relinquishing his title to Matt Serra at UFC 69. St. Pierre, 31, is a two-time UFC welterweight champion and owns notable victories over B.J. Penn, Jon Fitch and Matt Hughes.
Like St. Pierre, Silva has long been known as one of the sport’s most dominant fighters, posting a record 16 consecutive UFC wins since joining the promotion in 2006. Silva has reigned as UFC middleweight champion for more than six years, successfully defending his belt against the likes of Rich Franklin, Yushin Okami and Chael Sonnen. The 37-year-old southpaw owns 20 of his 33 career victories by way of knockout and has suffered just four defeats in his 15-year pro career.