Frank Shamrock’s pride took a hit at Strikeforce “Shamrock vs. Diaz” on Saturday at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif., but his bank account emerged in far better shape.
The 36-year-old icon banked an event-high $369,790 after his one-sided second-round stoppage defeat to Nick Diaz, according to figures released on Tuesday by the California State Athletic Commission. Shamrock earned almost 10 times as much as his adversary, who pocketed $39,950, including a $10,000 win bonus.
The volatile Diaz finished Shamrock with a barrage of quick punches along the cage after he dropped the former UFC champion and King of Pancrase with a brutal body shot. Referee “Big” John McCarthy implored Shamrock to defend himself, but the outspoken mixed martial arts pioneer had nothing left to offer, and the bout was halted 3:57 into round two.
Shamrock has dropped consecutive fights for the first time in more than 12 years, leading many to question his place in the sport. The 25-year-old Diaz, meanwhile, has taken aim at Strikeforce middleweight champion Cung Le, the man who started Shamrock’s current downward spiral.
Other notable earners included UFC veteran Scott Smith, who engaged and knocked out Benji Radach in one of the more memorable fights of the last year. He banked $49,940, including a $25,000 win bonus, in wake of his remarkable comeback victory. Radach pocketed $16,940 for his efforts.
Finally, Strikeforce interim lightweight titleholder Gilbert Melendez took home $49,890 after he smashed through Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt Rodrigo Damm with second-round punches. A late replacement for injured lightweight champion Josh Thomson, Damm earned $9,190 in his Strikeforce debut.
The CSAC has not yet released attendance and gate figures for the event.
Strikeforce “Shamrock vs. Diaz” Pay Scale
• Frank Shamrock - $369,790
• Scott Smith - $49,940 (includes $25,000 win bonus)
• Gilbert Melendez - $49,890 (no win bonus announced)
• Nick Diaz - $39,950 (includes $10,000 win bonus)
• Brett Rogers - $39,940 (includes $20,000 win bonus)
• Cristiane Santos - $18,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus)
• Benji Radach - $16,940
• Eric Lawson - $9,950 (includes $2,000 win bonus)
• Rodrigo Damm - $9,190
• Raul Castillo - $6,890 (includes $3,500 win bonus)
• Luke Rockhold - $6,000 (includes $3,000 win bonus)
• James Terry - $3,940 (includes $2,000 win bonus)
• Ron Humphrey - $3,205
• Waylon Kennell - $1,950
• Buck Meredith - $1,540
• Brandon Michaels - $1,500
• Zak Bucia - $1,500
• Hitomi Akano - $1,450
• Shingo Kohara - $940 (no win bonus announced)
• Jeremy Tavares - $940