Michael Bisping Still Expects to Fight GSP Next, Says Knee Issues Could Delay UFC Title Defense

By: Tristen Critchfield
May 17, 2017


While UFC President Dana White might have said that Yoel Romero is getting the next middleweight title shot, Michael Bisping is still under the impression that he’ll be fighting Georges St. Pierre.

“Honestly, it’s news to me. I haven’t heard anything about it. I reached out to Georges and he said he hasn’t heard anything officially either, and I still haven’t heard anything from the UFC or Dana White,” Bisping said on his ”Believe You Me” podcast. “I know that a lot of people are complaining about this potential delay with Georges, so we’ll see what happens.”

St. Pierre recently revealed that he would be ready to face Bisping any time after October. That, however, didn’t align with White’s initial desire to book “The Count” vs. GSP at UFC 213 on July 8.

“The thing was supposed to happen in July. Michael Bisping is going to have to defend his title now. We’re not waiting for GSP,” White told Fox Sports Australia. “(Yoel) doesn’t need to voice his opinion on why he needs a title shot. He definitely deserves a title shot. He’s next in line, he’s the No.1 ranked guy in the world.”

While White made that announcement through the media, the promotion has not confirmed a date for Bisping vs. Romero. In fact, Bisping claims that he hasn’t even been offered a fight against “The Soldier of God.”

“So yeah, to clarify, as of right now, no official word from the UFC. I haven’t heard anything and Georges is still hoping for it, I’m still hoping for it. I’ll say this, I was offered the (St. Pierre) fight twice,” Bisping said. “I was offered the fight in October and it never materialized. I was offered the fight in January or February and it did materialize and we had a press conference and we shook hands and we stood there in Las Vegas and we talked a bit of s--t. So OK, I haven’t had a bout agreement but that is the plan. That was the offer and I accepted and I kind of feel that once a deal is made, we should stick to it.”

Bisping recognizes that waiting until November is a significant delay for a booking that was initially announced in March, especially considering that he hasn’t defended his belt since last October. However, Bisping underwent minor knee surgery earlier this year and claims that he is still dealing with issues from that procedure. As a result, Bisping has backtracked from an earlier vow to defend his title against Romero if St. Pierre wasn’t ready by the summer. At the moment, it appears Bisping himself won’t be ready to return to the Octagon in the next few months, either.

“It’s (the delay) a blessing in disguise because I can’t fight anytime soon. I can’t exercise, I can’t train. My knee is giving me many, many problems,” Bisping said. “It was doing it in Thailand, it’s still getting no better. . . So long story short, what I’m getting at is I’m not going to be ready to fight anytime soon so again, that’s another reason why this plays into the perfect scenario for me.”

Fighter Profiles

Comments

Comments powered by Disqus

GRRRR!!!More on Sherdog.com Mobile