Michael Bisping can’t say exactly what it was, but he claims the have insider knowledge that Conor McGregor was going to attend UFC to make a major announcement before the now infamous bus incident went down.
“By all accounts, Conor was going to be at the Barclays Center on Saturday night to make an announcement,” Bisping said on his "Believe You Me” podcast. “It was going to be a title fight or whatever the fight was going to be, I’m sworn to secrecy so I can’t say but he was going to be there.”
If Bisping is correct, the announcement was likely going to be that McGregor would challenge newly-crowned champion Khabib Nurmagomedov for lightweight gold at a later date. However, UFC President Dana White said at a pre-fight press conference earlier in the week that McGregor was not expected to attend UFC 223. Regardless, McGregor’s future is uncertain after he threw a dolly at the window of a bus transporting UFC fighters and employees at the Barclays Center two days before the event.
As a result of McGregor’s actions, Michael Chiesa and Ray Borg suffered injuries from the broken glass and had to withdraw from UFC 223. Meanwhile, McGregor’s teammate, Artem Lobov, was also pulled from the card due to his involvement in the attack. McGregor faces multiple charges from the incident and is due back in New York in June.
While Bisping himself has never claimed to be a perfect person, the former middleweight champion does have some advice for the Irish star.
“Just lose the chip, that would be my advice. Just lose the f–king chip on the shoulder, man,” Bisping said. “It’s made me realize as well, cause I’ve got a good life, I’m very, very lucky. I thought about this. You see Conor go out there and doing this like what the hell are you doing? Why would you do that?
“Look at everything he has going for him. People would literally kill to be in his position. People dream of being in that position and now he’s in that position and he’s going out there and acting like that.”