Former UFC title challenger Nick Diaz remains free after a Nevada judge denied the prosecution’s request for a bail increase in the fighter’s domestic violence case.
MMAjunkie.com was the first to report the news on Tuesday. Las Vegas Justice Court judge Amy Chelini denied the request to increase Diaz’s bail from $18,000 to $100,000, saying she “can’t fathom” a reason to increase the figure initially set by the court.
The Stockton, Calif., native is charged with domestic battery by strangulation and misdemeanor domestic battery. Diaz was not in court on Tuesday, but was represented by attorney Ross Goodman. His next hearing is scheduled for July 10. Diaz made the $18,000 bond after he was arrested last month.
According to a domestic violence report, the victim, who claims to be Diaz’s sometimes girlfriend, was found at a Las Vegas house on May 24 “visibly in a large amount of pain” and unable to walk. The woman told police that Diaz slammed her to the ground and choked her following an argument at the residence.
The victim initially told police that Diaz threw her onto the corner of the pool, but later said that she hit her hip when she resisted Diaz’s attempt to throw her into the pool. The victim was hospitalized with a potentially broken hip as well as bruising on both legs, reddening of her neck and head and pain in her head, according to the report.
Diaz hasn’t competed in the Octagon since losing a decision to Anderson Silva at UFC 183 on Jan. 31, 2015. The result of the bout was later overturned after Silva failed a drug test. Diaz also tested positive for marijuana at the event.