Fabricio Werdum has his sights firmly fixed on the UFC heavyweight championship following a second-round submission of Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira in Saturday night’s UFC on Fuel TV 10 headliner.
“I’m very happy, because Nogueira is a legend in this sport. I like him, and he is my good friend, but he punches very hard,” Werdum told Fox Sports following his victory over “Minotauro” at Paulo Sarasate Gymnasium in Fortaleza, Brazil. “I tried to [keep him] on the ground, but he stood up fast. But when I saw the opportunity on the ground, I took the armbar.”
With his 2006 loss to “Minotauro” avenged, Werdum has posted three straight wins since returning to the UFC last year. However, if Werdum is to receive the next title shot, he will have to wait for it, as champion Cain Velasquez is already committed to defend the belt against Junior dos Santos in a forthcoming rubber match.
Werdum, who spent one year on the sidelines in order to shoot “The Ultimate Fighter: Brasil” Season 2 opposite Nogueira, did not appear enthusiastic about the prospect of another long layoff. However, if the price for inactivity is a title shot, Werdum said he is game.
“I’m just waiting, because the next fight is Cain Velasquez versus ‘Cigano.’ If the UFC gave me the opportunity, I would fight for sure,” Werdum said at the post-fight press conference. “I mentioned about doing an ‘Ultimate Fighter’ in Mexico. I’m a commentator for the UFC in Spanish, because I lived for many years in Spain. I don’t know if [Velasquez will] beat Cigano, but I’m going to be there observing both. I already spent a year without fighting because of ‘TUF,’ but if the UFC says wait to fight the champ, then I will wait and train hard.”