Anderson Silva Responds to UFC’s $50K Fine; ‘Spider’ Says He Was Unaware of Obligations
By: Mike Whitman May 7, 2013
According to Anderson
Silva, he was not aware of the media obligations that ended up
costing him $50,000 on Tuesday.
UFC President Dana White told USA Today on Monday evening that
Silva had been fined for electing to fly home to Brazil instead of
making Tuesday’s media appearances in Los Angeles. The UFC
middleweight champion Tuesday addressed the situation with
Veja, stating that he did not know about today’s scheduled
appointments until he was on his way to the airport.
“I’ve never missed any commitment to the UFC. I would never have
made the trip to Brazil if I knew I had to be in Los Angeles,” said
Silva. “Everyone knows that I always block my media schedule to
devote myself to training, since that’s my main priority. I’m an
athlete, and my focus will always be to train and be prepared for
Silva will square off with Chris
Weidman in the main event of UFC 162, which takes place July 6
at MGM Grand Garden Arena and airs live on pay-per-view. The
38-year-old Brazilian has reigned as UFC middleweight champion for
more than six years, defending his title a record 10 times in that
span. “The Spider” owns notable wins over Chael Sonnen,
Marquardt and Rich Franklin.
Silva last competed on Oct. 13, when he stopped Stephan
Bonnar in a light heavyweight attraction at UFC 153.