Stefan Struve often wins and loses in spectacular fashion. | Photo: Sherdog.com
Just 24 years old, Stefan Struve has already compiled an 8-3 record during his UFC tenure. Stipe Miocic, his opponent at UFC on Fuel TV 5, is unbeaten in three Octagon appearances. When it comes to up-and-coming heavyweights, players in Sherdog.com’s MMA Pick’Em fantasy game favor results over potential, as 60 percent have sided with Struve in his main event clash against Miocic on Saturday at the Capital FM Arena in Nottingham, England.
It was a rough promotional debut for Struve, as he was knocked out by current heavyweight king Junior dos Santos in just 54 seconds at UFC 95. While the Dutchman has since suffered spectacular losses at the hands of Roy Nelson and Travis Browne, he has also shown the ability to survive a number of dire situations. He has defeated Pat Barry, Dave Herman and Lavar Johnson in his last three bouts.
A former collegiate wrestler at Cleveland State University, Miocic has bested Joey Beltran, Philip De Fries and Shane del Rosario thus far in the UFC. The Strong Style Fight Team representative has been to the judges’ scorecards just once in nine professional bouts overall.
In the co-main event, 79 percent of participants like Dan Hardy to please the home folks by beating “The Ultimate Fighter 7” winner Amir Sadollah in a welterweight tilt. Hardy stopped a four-fight skid at UFC 146, knocking out fellow striker Duane Ludwig in the opening frame. Sadollah, meanwhile, took a hard-fought split decision form Jorge Lopez at UFC on Fuel TV 3. All nine of Sadollah’s career fights have been contested under the UFC banner.
Other Pick’Em trends for UFC on Fuel TV 5:
• An overwhelming 90 percent of players believe Brad Pickett will take care of Yves Jabouin at bantamweight. “One Punch” has split his two bouts in the UFC, besting Damacio Page while falling to Renan “Barao” Pegado. Jabouin has won his last three with the organization, most recently taking a lopsided unanimous verdict against Jeff Hougland in May;
• A solid 74 percent of users believe Paul Sass can remain unbeaten at lightweight. Twelve of the Englishman’s 13 victories have come via submission, while Wiman returns to action for the first time since a decision victory over Mac Danzig in October;
• John Hathaway is a heavy favorite in a welterweight clash against John Maguire, as 90 percent of contestants like “The Hitman” to land his seventh win in eight UFC appearances. Hathaway owns notable triumphs over Rick Story and Diego Sanchez during his time in the Octagon;
• Che Mills was dominated by top prospect Rory MacDonald at UFC 145, but that did not stop 67 percent of players from choosing him to get the best of Duane Ludwig in a welterweight conflict. Mills fared better in his UFC debut, knocking out Chris Cope in 40 seconds. Ludwig has fallen to Josh Neer and Dan Hardy in his last two outings;
• In preliminary bouts, users favor Kyle Kingsbury (61 percent) over undefeated newcomer Jimi Manuwa, Andy Ogle (79 percent) over Akira Corassani, Brad Tavares (76 percent) over Tom Watson, Gunnar Nelson (75 percent) over DaMarques Johnson and Robert Peralta (84 percent) over Jason Young.